Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Male Bonding


"Everything degenerates after midnight. Conversation, intuition, tact, inhibitions, reason, etc. With that said, I don't know if I should call what happened tonight with a male bonding experience, or just irreverent social chaos." ~ ATL (FB Post)


College life is a hectic trip that only lasts as long as you can stay awake. For me, that time period ranges from from about 6am to 2am, though occasionally I'll venture into the recesses of 3 or 4am, and wonder after those two hours of sleep what the heck I was thinking. But hey, that's life. College life.


Tonight was one of those nights that you remember for a while, or until a new and more memorable night blots the previous one out. This night all started after curfew had brought us derelict rogues back under the common roof of the Culbertson dormitory, floor 11. Though we had left the study halls, libraries, women and crisp autumn weather, our night was far from over. 


We started out with our RA reading us Ferdinand the Bull in his room. I'll have to say, a group of 8 guys all packed in one room listening to a bedtime story must have been quite the sight. After an entertaining half hour of listening, making jokes, laughing, and wishing that it was our own mothers reading the story to us and not our Korean RA (no offense to him by any way), a group of us slowly wandered the floor from room to room. We would lounge on our buddies beds, talk about life, women, music, philosophy, and occasionally pepper the conversation with a little masculine vulgarity that was always neatly reined in by peer pressure and our own Christian consciences. As the night wore on, the buddies beds were yearned for by their owners. When this happened we would simply move on the the next available room.


We started in Trevor and David's room. Eric, Peter, Noah, my roommate James and I were all cozied up in Trevor and David's beds. I had the Trevor's guitar, and was working on a new song I was hopefully going to get out of my haphazard labyrinth of a mind and onto paper. David was trying to get his homework done, but after the fourth or so time of taking off his headphones and joining the conversation, I knew his work was shot. After an hour or so, Trevor was ready for bed, and was desperately trying to wrestle a very comfy Eric from under his covers. In the end, we were booted, and the two inhabitants were left in peace.


We moved to Peter's room, which was a little more roomy, as well as more populated. Our little gathering of Peter, Eric, James and myself was joined by Eddie, Danny, Minha, and Bennett. We lounged about some more, talking, and slowly letting our verbal guards down. I played Peter's guitar, still working that elusive tune in my head. This little soiree was wilder than the one in the last room we were in, and Peter made it all the more better by dishing out some snack foods and a Redbull (Mother, I must confess that it was indeed your son who made himself victim to that villainous and intensely unhealthy drink). After slamming that down, the volume level of that room got a mite louder. I think my lowered state of reason egged everyone else on to even more let their own inhibitions fall by the wayside. I have have not heard Peter laugh so loud nor Eddie be so giddy or merry at one time. Truly, we had reached the epitome of a good time.


After a good hour or so, around 1:30, after surviving a barrage of pistachios, bad jokes, and Courage Wolf witticisms, Peter decided that if he was to survive the following day in Academia, he had better evict the horde of ravenous striplings from his residence. Sadly, he achieved this task, and we all them moved to my room. Here the party was definitely coming to a close, as even we rogues and carefree and irresponsible blokes were feeling the night wear us down. I cleaned my half of the room, and desperately tried to get my roommate, now in bed, to go to his closet and fall prey to and get jumped by Eddie, who was had secretly hidden himself there. This little jest failed, after Eric opened the closet and blew the whole operation. After a few minutes (which in fact was a half an hour), everyone decided to call it a night. The clocks read 2am.


There is something about 2am that makes it the perfect time to go to bed. Its commands the farthest safe boundary of a good nights sleep for those who get up at the earliest hour of 6am. So, our little mad little party drew to an end. Sort of.




Now, at 3am, I'm doing laundry and blogging.


Self-preservation be darned. 
"Bite off more than you can chew, then CHEW IT".
(Heck yes, Courage Wolf)


~ Aidan

No comments:

Post a Comment